TallWall® OSB wall sheathing has been used by the nation’s home-building industry for over 20 years and was the first longer-length wall sheathing in the market. Available in 9’ and 10’ lengths, TallWall provides builders and framers with additional advantages when compared to traditional 4×8 wall sheathing installed horizontally. The Home Innovation Research Center conducted air leakage tests that compared vertically installed TallWall sheathing to standard 4×8 panels. The tests revealed a sharp reduction in air leakage – up to 60% compared to 4×8 panels installed horizontally under the same conditions.
Features and Benefits
- TallWall installed vertically reduces wall air leakage up to 60% compared to 4x8s installed horizontally. TallWall eliminates the blocking and horizontal gaps that are created when using 4x8s. These gaps can add up to approximately a 4-square foot hole in a typical house
- Eliminating the blocking improves the performance of your wall insulation by reducing thermal bridging
- Speeds up installation with less cutting and less handling
- TallWall allows you to cut out the window and door openings, this adds strength to the wall
- Provides a continuous load path
- Eliminates gable end-hinge points because TallWall can extend beyond the top plates into the truss members
- Provides a stronger, stiffer and flatter wall
- Fully open wall cavities for fast, easy and full insulation
- Reduces or eliminates nail pops and cracking caused by racking because TallWall sheathing makes the wall stronger and stiffer than using 4x8s
- No special tools or installation skills required
- Meets or exceeds PS 2 standards and is approved in all North American building codes
- No added urea-formaldehyde resins, CARB exempt
The Florida Green Building Certification (FGBC) program has accepted TallWall’s reduction in air leakage for additional points under the “Innovative Ideas” section. Be sure to use TallWall or Windstorm products when working towards a green certification.