A full 1-1/8″ edge surface allows for quick installation with virtually no risk of splitting. Installation of RIMBOARDs requires 8d common or ring-shank nails.*
- I-Joist – drive 1 nail into the top flange and 1 into the bottom flange
- Plate – toe-nail RIMBOARD at 6″ on centre to wall plates
- Floor Deck – space fasteners at 6″ on centre
- Ledger – use 1/2 ” lag screws and ensure they completely penetrate RIMBOARD. Please refer to building code requirements for number and placement of lag screws.
- Starter Joist – when RIMBOARDs are used as starter joists to maintain the vertical loading, there are several installation options, such as blocking (maximum 24″ o.c.), double up the RIMBOARDs, or place an I-JOIST adjacent to the RIMBOARD. Please consult your designer for the appropriate option and details for your application RIMBOARD is designed to span openings of 4′ or less.
- When installing T&G sub-floor on top of Rimboard, refer to APA’s Floor panel T&G Trim Guidelines.
* A larger nail size may be required by some I-JOIST manufacturers.